March 20, 2018

Mississippi passes worst abortion law in the country

Slate -Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant signed the country’s most restrictive abortion measure into law Monday, immediately banning abortions after 15 weeks in almost all cases, including cases of rape and incest. The state’s previous abortion law had a 20-week deadline, but the second-term governor has publicly campaigned to make it harder for women to get an abortion in the state. In 2014, Bryant announced his goal was “to end abortion in Mississippi.”

For a sense of how far state lawmakers have restricted access to abortion services, Mississippi has a single abortion clinic, which filed suit within the hour of the Gestational Age Act being signed, seeking a preliminary injunction to keep the law from being enforced.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was a fetus
Sheltered in the womb,
The politicians cared for me
Or so I would assume.
But when I became a human
And they supported war,
I found myself a victim
Of capricious, bourgeois law.
The state's command transcended
The "Right to Life" its plea,
When King Capital demanded
A sacrifice by me.

Samuel Leight